iOS 16 beta 2 is now available and it includes some changes and tweaks to the new features Apple announced at WWDC. There are updates to the redesigned lock screen, new features for the system video player, and more. Head down as we wrap up what’s new.
One important thing to remember is that iOS 16 beta 2 was probably done and baked before WWDC even started. Apple completes beta versions several weeks in advance for internal testing before releasing them to developers. This means that if you had some specific bugs or requests, you shouldn’t expect changes until beta 3 at the earliest.
It’s also worth noting that, especially during the early beta versions, changes and improvements are necessarily linear. This means that something that worked in iOS 16 beta 1 may be broken in iOS 16 beta 2. As always, proceed with care.
That said, what’s new in iOS 16 beta 2? There are a number of small but notable updates.
New features in iOS 16 beta 2
- Apple has updated the process of editing and creating new lock screens. There is now a straightforward way to remove lock screens you no longer want by swiping up and tapping the trash can.
- Some changes have also been made to the wallpaper picker in the Settings app to make it clear which wallpaper you are changing.
- When you set a new photo as your background, Apple now shows you it so you can pinch in or out to adjust the cropping of that background.
- There are two new filter options for setting photos as wallpaper: duotone and color wash
- The dynamic astronomy background has been updated to add a bright green dot on the map indicating your current location.
- There are improvements to SMS filtering for Messages.
- iOS 16 beta 2 brings support for iCloud backup over LTE and 5G.
- Earth’s dynamic wallpaper is now available on older devices, including the iPhone XS and iPhone XR.
- With the system video player in iOS 16, you can now long-press and scroll through a video.
- Apple Cash has a custom interface with balance and options for send and request buttons
- The Apple Card interface in the Wallet app now shows a summary of your daily/weekly/monthly rewards
Do you see any changes in the current release of iOS 16 beta 2 or iPadOS 16 beta 2? Let us know in the comments below or on Twitter @9to5Mac† Stay tuned for our full hands-on coverage with the new releases here 9to5Mac today and the rest of the week.
FTC: We use auto affiliate links that generate revenue. More.