WASHINGTON (AP) — New images of former President Donald Trump and his inner circle, taken both before and after Jan. 6, 2021, are now in the possession of the House committee investigating the deadly attack on the Capitol.
The disclosure of the never-before-seen footage came to light during the commission’s public hearings on Tuesday when British filmmaker Alex Holder revealed that he had complied with a congressional subpoena to hand over all of the footage he captured in the final weeks of Trump’s 2020 reelection campaign. †
“When we started this project in September 2020, we could never have predicted that our work would one day be subpoenaed by Congress,” Holder wrote in a statement on Twitter.
The filmmaker said the footage includes exclusive interviews with Trump, his children and then-Vice President Mike Pence, both during the campaign run and before and after the Capitol uprising.
The first senior Trump campaign leaders to hear about the documentary was Tuesday morning when the project was first reported by Politico, according to two former officials who spoke on condition of anonymity to discuss the group’s response.
The series, titled “Unprecedented,” was bought by a streaming service and was set to be released in three parts this summer, Holder wrote.
The news of the footage also came as committee members held their fourth public hearing, this time focusing on how Trump’s relentless push to undo the 2020 presidential election led to widespread threats against local election workers and state officials.
Representative Jamie Raskin, D-Md., one of the members of the panel, told reporters Tuesday afternoon that he had been personally approached by a person who had knowledge of the footage and then the committee decided to issue its subpoena.
“I haven’t seen it yet, but I know it exists,” Raskin said.
The footage marks the second time the committee has relied on documentary footage from the day to gather evidence for the extensive, nearly a year-long investigation. The first public hearing in early June featured testimonial from Nick Questedanother British filmmaker, who was embedded with the Proud Boys in the weeks after Trump lost the 2020 election.
Holder’s statement also states that he will appear before the committee on Thursday to testify.
Associated Press writer Jill Colvin contributed to this report.